mvan1

Barcelona and Uber (Sauna Thermas)

Many of us who travel to Barcelona visit Thermas sauna.  It is a fun place.  Look at all the positive reviews

Unfortunately,  Uber is now suspended in Barcelona over some disagreements -   Unless we stay near the sauna, we will have to get an alternate way to get around the city and to the sauna.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/31/uber-suspends-cab-service-in-spanish-city-of-barcelona.html

The area near Sauna Thermas is a great lively gay-friendly neighborhood. I stayed within a 5 minute walk from the sauna, and there were gay bars and gay-friendly hotels in the area. The Rocafort subway station is also only a mere block away.

As others have mentioned, the metro is clean, safe and efficient.  I've used it and recommend it.

I will say that getting too used to Uber makes me feel totally lazy at times as a traveler.  When cities go through their spats with Uber, it's a nice reminder that other forms of transportation are widely available and often times a lot more fun :)

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

Two, the 4* gay hotel is 2 blocks from Thermas and City Hotel a 4 or 5* is directly behind it. Both are very reasonable. The train station is 4 blocks away for that mandatory day at Sitges in season.

Taxis are expensive. I prefer cities that have Uber.

Edited by tassojunior

A late response, but I just back from BCN. 

I used the Metro mostly. Even with some kind of “strike” going on, it was efficient, clean and safe. All the locals were bitching about it, but it was one of the nicest subway systems I’ve used. Also, like most European subways, it closes early at night, except Saturday. Be aware. 

Also used the Mytaxi app whenever I got lazy. It worked great, but watch out for cabbies entering amounts larger than the correct fare. They do it manually, and about 1/2 the time the amount they entered was more than the fare. They pretty much just give you a shit eatting grin and correct it when you call them out on it. Just be aware. 

Posted (edited)

Based on my limited experience, Mytaxi app gives you a price quote when you request the ride.  When you enter the taxi, the driver turn on his real meter.  At the end of the ride,  if the actually amount is higher, of course the driver would put in this higher amount.  But if the actual amount is less than the quote, they put in the original (higher) quote price.

Edited by Walker

Cabify was up and running a few weeks ago.  Though, for your first trip, for whatever reason you have to wait 15 minutes for the car to accept the ride.  After that, it’s back to normal.   However there didn’t seem to be that many drivers and sometimes wait times would be ten minutes or so.   But this could be different now.  Cabify relaunched the week I was there with the new workaround rules.  

Do you guys have any recommendations for hotels near Sauna Thermas? I have stayed at Rommmate Hotels in Mexico City and I know they have a few locations in Barcelona that I will check out. Any other suggestions?